Saturday, June 8, 2013

"Walkin' the halls...1951-1955""




Saddle shoes and socks, tightly belted full skirt, short sleeve sweater and a scarf around my neck...walking the halls with my girl friends.  Laughter, giggles...eyeing that cute boy; tearful and comforting when a crush fell apart.  Walking the halls, being watched over by the typing teacher or the girls' dean...being confronted when low-grade reports were due.  Walking the halls in 1954.  FIREWORKS in 1955!!!    Girlfriends packing up after our sleepover while watching a red-headed senior mow his uncle's lawn on Saturday mornings.  They thought he was awesome.  Since I have always liked what everyone else liked, so thought I.  Going steady, life after high school and college, marriage, a tour of duty in Germany, four children, divorce in 1979...married 20 years.

"Walking the halls...2013"


Velcro latched sneakers, sweat pants, huge t-shirt and my walker. . .!  Careful, watch where you are going, pick up your feet..."they say"...walking the halls in 2013.

  Since I fell May 17 and broke my back. . .L1 vertebrae, I have to wear a "clam shell"...a body brace for 6-8 weeks.  Must go to physical therapy...ankle lifts with 2 lb. weights, bouncing and catching the big ball, taking a long walk...observing all those around me who are making every attempt they can to become strong again and to be the "way we were."

       * occupational therapy...washing all the dirty dishes left in the model sink, stirring up a batch of lemon squares and baking them for everyone else to eat when they cool; arm lifts... movement with 2 lb. weights; putting little "things" on wooden pegs.

        *speech therapy...what I do best!!!  Wonderful therapist and the very best time of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment